Other than buying or building a new home, extending your existing home is one of the biggest costs most people will have had in their life. Many people who are considering extending have normally considered relocating to a bigger house or contemplated a new build. Factors which affect people’s decision to stay and extend normally include wanting to avoid solicitors fees, LGBT tax, hassle of moving and unsettling children. Extending your home is such a popular choice these days it makes up over 80% of RJM’s work.
It is vital that your extension fulfils whatever requirement your current house is not, whether it’s additional bedrooms, larger living areas, bigger kitchen, and still feels cohesive with the existing areas in the house. For example if you’re adding bedrooms, consider whether your existing bathrooms and storage space will then be adequate for the needs of the bigger house. If adding a sun lounge, consider the access from the other rooms in the house to provide a good flow from one to the other.
Architectural agents provide great value to clients who are extending. Many developers offer a design and build service with a ‘free’ drawing service, but be aware that this service will be worked into your overall cost. By working with RJM the client is involved at every stage as an integral player within the design team. You are investing heavily in the extension and RJM will ensure you are listened to and come up with proposals to fit your needs and requirements.
RJM can provide the following services, although this list is not inclusive, and will tailor their involvement in the project based on your requirement. A comprehensive fee quote will be provided following the initial, no obligation, meeting.
• Initial, no obligation, meeting to discuss ideas and your specific requirements.
• Provide proposals with various options for you to choose from.
• Take you through the planning and building warrant process, liaising with local authorities and other professionals on your
• Put the project out to tender for multiple contractors to price.
• Advise on the best contractors to use for each project.
• Project management of build on site through to completion.